Keep up-to-date with the latest Promasidor news
We take a closer look at Promasidor Nigeria’s Packaging Development Department
The Packaging Development Department is one of the functional departments within Promasidor Nigeria. Recruitment began in the last quarter of 2010 for this new department and duly started business in Jan 2011.
Structure of the Department:
- Mr Ray Cooper – Head of Department,
- Ben Eke – Packaging Manager,
- Solomon Makanjuola – Packaging Manager,
- Ugbomhe Onomhoi Brai – Packaging Technologist,
- Mrs Rachel Ekeh (nee Ighalo) – Packaging Technician.
Functions of the Packaging Development Department:
- Development of packaging materials (flexibles, cans, cartons, corrugates…etc) from new and existing suppliers.
- Development of specifications for all packaging materials and pallets.
- Liaises with packaging machine suppliers to ensure functionality of machines under development for PNG packaging operations.
- Development of product pallet plans using Cape software.
- Contributing to Promasidor Nigeria's profitability through Margin Improvement (MI) packaging development projects.
- Timely reception of incoming packaging materials.
- Packaging material supplier audit and development.
- Qualification of new packaging material suppliers.
- Plays a major role in product development projects of the company.
- Works closely with Marketing, Sales, R&D and Purchasing on all aspects of Packaging.
With the need to continuously ensure professionalism in work execution in Promasidor Nigeria in general and in the packaging department in particular, three members of the packaging department are currently undergoing a packaging professional certification programme with the Institute of Packaging Professionals (IoPP) in the United Kingdom. Two are currently at the dissertation stage, while one is preparing for the 3rd unit exam. The department has had occasions to collaborate with Promasidor Ghana, Kenya and Tanzania in the past to help with the designing of a workable pallet structure for their products.
Recently in June this year the department, together with the logistic team, represented Promasidor Nigeria in the Promasidor Group at the Positive Packaging Group conference in Mumbai, India. At the conference, the Promasidor Group was represented by participants from Nigeria, South Africa, Kenya, Algeria and Tanzania.